Misty comes calling a Yoga class
This one is for Bharti - thank you for being with me since July
2010!
On a beautifully wet and torrential raining morning when all one
wants to do is to sip on tea and watch/hear the rain and read every possible
corner of the newspaper it was time for my class. When it pours this way my lungs need to work harder
as my voice tries to reach over the huge hall and rise above the bantering on
the tiled roof. Notwithstanding the rain that day, nearly everyone had assembled,
taken position and waiting to begin. Our attention was drawn to one of our
regular friends taking unusually long at the door and we also heard soft cooing
of a dog/doggie (said colloquially)."Must be one of the strays that have
accompanied her.”Said one. “How nice’ said another. ‘I hate dogs’ quipped the
third voice. “And we have so many strays around here.”
The door opened and we found Bharti with a beautiful Dachshund on
the leash.
"Oh! Yours???" "No".
"Whose is it? This one will not let you do yoga, Bharti."
My friend was already exasperated. I never found her missing her
class for anything (a discipline I appreciate till date). She had a request in
her eyes. ‘Can I please get her in? The masters have gone out of town and I
volunteered to keep her. Her name is Misty ’. Oh! We had another lady joining
the class. As long as she stayed in one place it was ok I thought. So that is
how lovely Misty joined the class on a Misty morning.
Just to encourage regularity, I sometimes allow my students to
bring along the lil’ ones. They read or
play with their toys as moms do yoga. This was our first experience with a canine.
Between my counts of exhale
and inhale could be heard the soft cooing of Misty. At the time of sitting
postures she went around smelling all toes, looked amused and followed the hand
movements with her neck. And being intelligent realized where all she would not
be welcome. Seated forward bends were a pain for Bharti as Misty wanted to be
in her lap all the while. At the time of standing postures Misty occupied the
mat of her foster mom as she performed all asana on bare floor. ‘Anything for
you Misty as long as you allow me to do yoga.’ we moved over to the lying down postures,
Misty grew restless. She thought everyone was going to sleep. She soon settled snuggling next to Bharti, adjusting
herself in the curve of her waist and resting her head on Bharti's shoulder. It
was a beautiful sight - a perfect picture of man and animal co-existence.
As we sat down for
collective AUM chant, Misty joined in with her “Ooooooooo”, reminding me of the
movie 101 Dalmatians. Shavasana found Misty on Bharti's tummy going up and down
with each breath.
Misty got caught in the excitement as mats were rolled up. I
thanked my students for consenting to the unique experience and Misty for being
a good girl.
That day I regretted my decision of not allowing mobiles in the
class as I could not capture the sight of a canine through a yoga session.
I am pretty sure if misty wud hv attended few of ur class, she wud hv calmed down and meditated too...u hv a mystical voice Manisha....and Bharti breathes yoga....she is deep into it... Bharti enjoy Yog ....Thanks for being a good teacher , Manisha
ReplyDeleteI am pretty sure if misty wud hv attended few of ur class, she wud hv calmed down and meditated too...u hv a mystical voice Manisha....and Bharti breathes yoga....she is deep into it... Bharti enjoy Yog ....Thanks for being a good teacher , Manisha
ReplyDeleteWould have loved to be a part of that session! Congratulations on the blog... keep writing and sharing your umpteen experiences with us...
ReplyDeleteWould have loved to be a part of that session! Congratulations on the blog... keep writing and sharing your umpteen experiences with us...
ReplyDeleteOh wow great Manisha... Nice blog. I m very fortunate that I ve u as my yoga guru.....🙏
ReplyDeleteGr8 start M. Albeit a wee bit late in the field where you have a niche. Keep at it. You are wired to be creative and teach. Am proud of you..
ReplyDeletethis is a wonderful initiative n for me gives me moments to relive being in your class...it some how transports me back to Kochi and the wonderful time i spent in your tutelage..look forward to more ...:)
ReplyDelete