Wednesday, 21 October 2015

      Sunday market-practical lessons in TRUST


(Kochi musings)

I have always been passionate about my Sunday morning market visit. Fishwala, followed by chickenwala followed by purchases from each of the ammas/chettas who sit along the road and sell fresh vegetables.

I select the fish, choose the cut and proceed to the chickenwala. Select the bird, check the weight (make sure that it is small) and proceed ahead for the vegetables .veggies selected and then it is time to sum up the amount. With great confidence I ask the amma ‘etra? (How much)’###### I understand only part of it.

I turn to buyer friends around and confirm the figure, pay the amma and walk away, wishing that she is able to sell to the last bhindi and the last stalk of cheera on her mat.I happened to take along a friend one Sunday. She quipped “how can you just walk off from there? What if the fellow flicks the meat? You do not even bother to get things weighed again.”
I had to think. “Look! How can I ever know how much the scale on the fish or the tiny feathers on the poor bird weigh? It’s alright .If he flicks the meat, his god knows it. As far as I am concerned, I have committed enough crime by having the bird slaughtered. Add to it the burden of mistrusting the guy. Forget it.”

“And what about the vegetables amma? You can count only till 15(patanj) in Malayalam and then you straight jump to 100(noor).”Asked my friend. 

I reminded her once again’ her god is watching. A rupee or two will surely make a difference to her and then, I do cross check with fellow buyers and make new friends. Believe you me, many times when we meet again after a week or so, our hands come upon the same bundle of leaves. No, no, I can’t be mistrusting so many people on a beautiful Sunday morning. So, I leave their hisaab (accounting) to them, pay my dues and head back home to stock my famished refrigerator.
                                                                                                      

1 comment:

  1. I know it is difficult but trusting people blindly makes life so simple. It took a while for Kochi to grow on us but it sure was a lovely stint there while it lasted. The initial days at Mumbai had a fabulous view of green and the sea that helped us wean off God's own Country. Now an year down the pangs are less intense. One day someday we will be back there and hopefully the city would not have paid the price of modernisation and there would be enough and more of green to soak in.

    ReplyDelete